Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Difference Between the Two Sides of the Blogging Aisle

Right Angle has more from that story that our "Threat" thread originated from and it contains this from John McClelland:
John McClelland, of the Ohio Republican Party, said he hasn’t yet fielded any requests from bloggers for freebies. He, too, is watching and waiting. "They are not the traditional media, but we’ve tried to be open with them in terms of having access to our events, taking phone calls, answering any questions.
What is missing from our "Threat" thread is what the article was about... Apparently, our liberal bretheren have asked their party establishment for some freebies...namely, they wanted complimentary addmission to a fund raiser featuring Barak Obama. I'll agree with conservativeguy from Right Angle who said, "I believe that the conservative position would be to pay to attend an event. I am not a big fan of handouts." It wouldn't have even occured to me to ask the ORP to comp my admission to the unity event or candidate school...

UPDATE: I should also like to point out that I have been impressed with the outreach efforts made on the part of John, Jason Mauk and the ORP.

If the ORP wants bloggers at an event, they'll invite us. Otherwise, we're on our own. That's just the way I see it.

Those chicken dinners suck anyway...

However, I will say this: I think that the ORP is underutilizing the talent that the center-right blogosphere here in Ohio has to offer. One of my goals is to foster a relationship between the ORP and the awesome well of great talent that Ohio has to offer in the blogosphere.

If the ORP would be interested in such a thing, I'd be very interested in being a part of building that relationship. However, I know that such a relationship would be a cautious one, at best; because, as Jason once said to me, bloggers love our independence. And the party has to be about message discipline.

I wouldn't have it any other way...

3 comments:

Matt Dole said...

Some bloggers love message discipline too... we just aren't very popular among our bloggin peers!!!

Matt Hurley said...

Sometimes, I just can't win... :)

BizzyBlog said...

Hey Matt D, to have message discipline you need to have a message. Which is...?

("We're not Sherrod Brown or Ted Strickland" doesn't count.)

(Neither does "we're for a kindler, gentler, slower anmesty than the other guys.")