Monday, May 15, 2006

Disunity

NOTE: Cross-posted @ Right Angle Blog.

Though kind words were shared by all, it does not appear to me that the Ohio GOP "Unity" shindig was a success. There are clearly two Republican Parties: the conservatives and the "liberal establishment" -- shall the twain meet? I believe in the Ohio motto, but let me say here that I am none too enthused about the possibilities.

I am hard on liberal Republicans from time to time -- deservedly so -- but I understand the need to compromise for the greater good. I voted for Bob Taft the first time that he was elected and I have voted for Mike DeWine and George Voinovich from time to time. What has it gotten me? Bob Tax ran as a conservative and turned into "Sideshow Bob Taft", earning the worst approval ratings that I have personally ever heard of.

As for Mike DeWine, he will not get my vote -- even if that means that Sherrod Brown wins. Sometimes, Americans need to see just how bad Democrat leadership really is. A fact: If Bill Clinton was not president and the American people did not get the full Monty, liberal three-step (taxes, spending and immoral social policy), the Republicans would have not taken over both houses of Congress.

A note to my "moderate" Republican brethren: it was not you that lead that insurrection. It was conservatives who offered the people conservative ideas and conservative values who took over the House of Representatives for the first time in 40 years. It was taxes, gays and abortion that lost Democrats control of the body that even I was beginning to believe belonged to them by divine right.

I have done all of the bending that I am going to do. Now is the time for the so-called "moderates" to do a little compromising in return.

You talk a good "big tent" game -- can you walk the walk?

2 comments:

Matt Hurley said...

Steven, I'm with you, you know that, but let me ask you what we've actually gained by having experienced Bill Clinton? The Republicans in Congress are big believers in big government conservatism (whatever that is)...that's what we got when we elected Bill Clinton. It just took us awhile to get there. Why did it happen? Because we convinced the political class that the way to win was to pander... We have to do better at teaching...and that will start with keeping the majority with the GOP...

Think back to the Harriet Miers nomination. The conservative base rose up and said "Enough is enough." That is what needs to happen here. The election of Ken Blackwell will be the first shout of that very message. Now is the time and this is the hour.

I, for one, am not willing to endure another liberal Congress just because Republicans needed to be smacked around. Hell, I can do that any time I want; I don't need to have the Republicans lose so we have that much farther to go when the GOP finally gets it. Taking two steps backwards so I can take one step forward isn't the way to go...it really isn't.

Steven J. Kelso Sr. said...

Understood Matt, but we got conservative ideas passed during the Clinton administration, big spending under the Bush administration. While willing to compromise, I am not willing to compromise my principles beyond the point where they mean nothing. How am I to advocate for the GOP if I have to lie? How can I say that we are different if we are not? Liberty is much too prescious to be left to partisans. I do not believe as I do because those who advocate what I do have "R's" behind their names.

Republicans will NOT change until they are forced to.

I hereby lay down the gauntlet -- give me liberty, or give me a Democrat Congress (or death; it's the same thing :)).