Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Re: 2008 and Rudy

So long as the war on terror is going on, Rudy Guiliani is still a viable candidate for the Republicans.

And there is plenty for a conservative to like about him.

Nobody says "law and order" like Rudy. His putting the "broken glass theory" in to practice produced real results that should be hailed as a success worthy of emulation elsewhere.

My point: conservativism means different things to different people.

Social conservatives will not care for Rudy...but so long as the war goes on, even the social conservatives would support Rudy for POTUS.

Do I think he'd be my "ideal" candidate? Not by a long shot, but conservatives have to look at Rudy the same way liberals have to look at Hillary Clinton...if he wants the job, it's his to lose.

1 comment:

Steven J. Kelso Sr. said...

At this point out, George Allen would be my choice, but I have to agree with Matt on this one.

I was a fan of Rudy well before 9/11 and my admiration has obviously only grown since. He surely wouldn't be my first choice as I am as conservative socially as I am fiscally and hawkish on the war.

Change the Department of Defense back to the Department of War and send Rudy out to bust some heads!