Thursday, May 18, 2006

Why Conservatives Should Stay Engaged

Captain Ed has some thoughts on the subject.

The problem that the conservative movement has is that it doesn't seem to have much interest in educating the electorate. When they do, as in PA, the electorate responds. Ohio had a chance and they blew it. Does that mean we should pack it in and forget it? I don't think so.

Bill Pierce did the best job he could with the resources he had. I know that personally because I was there. Ken Blackwell got it done, but is now finding out that even though he is the top of the ticket, he still has to work with others to get his agenda advanced.

I look at both situations as opportunities.

We, as conservatives, need to get smart about how we approach public relations. I'm not saying that we surrender on principles, but we have to get better about how we approach those disagreements. So far, we have managed to throw Kossackian temper tantrums; and let me tell you, that isn't the way to win friends and influence people in the political arena. (I address the same sentiment to the Petro supporters who can't seem to stop smacking around conservatives...you need us just as much as we need you.)

Yes, most conservatives really aren't political animals but that is the world in which we will advance our agenda so we'd better start to learn the rules. That way, when we break thos rules, we will know what we're doing and what the consequences will be...

My view is this: if you aren't voting for the most conservative person on the ballot, you are hurting the cause.

2 comments:

Billy Valentine said...

You're absolutely right. I think the problem is that a large faction of republicans consider themselves to be conservative, but are afraid to vote for conservatives against establishment republicans, because the establishment puts so much momentum and money behind those candidates and they disqualify the conservative candidate.

Conservatives in Ohio also simply need to be more aggressive. Starting up an organization such as Young Conservatives of Pennsylvania did would not be a bad idea at all. Granted, YCOP had a great issue to work with, but I'm sure we'll see the same in Ohio or already have (I've only been in Ohio for 9 months, so idk).

I really think an organization needs to be created. Look at the number of CR groups that endorsed Blackwell. Look at the number of older conservative bloggers in the Blog Alliance. I think it can be done. I have too much on my plate right now, but would help anyone that wants to start something up.

Steven J. Kelso Sr. said...

Sound like a good idea to me.