Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Wildcard

In the comments to another post, SOB member LargeBill writes:
Another wild card in this primary is the fact that the Republican party has a man running for governor who happens to be black. Could this result in people who have traditionally voted Dem asking for a Republican primary ballot? Those folks voting Republican mainly for one race are completely unpredictable votes in the other races.
This is something I hadn't really considered. Also, throw in the non-teaching education-related union people who are supposed to come out for Petro...there could be a good number of folks who will be voting Republican for the first time...

How much of an effect will that have? No idea...not until we see some numbers. Should make for an interesting post-mortem.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI. I am a registered Dem and I switched over and voted for Petro, since the Dem ticket is pretty much set. I know many others doing the same. Blackwell scares the crap out of me. He makes Bush look liberal.

Matt Hurley said...

So let me ask you a question... If Blackwell is so wrong for Ohio, shouldn't you WANT him to be the nominee so that Ohio would have a clear choice?

Anonymous said...

No, because I have no faith in the majority of the people making good decisions. Most Repubicans that I know are 1 issue voters. Pro-Lifers. So basically what happens is that someone gets elected to run a state/country because they believe in a issue that has no bearing on actually running a state/country. Thus you see incompetence. People should be elected because of qualifications, not because of what religion they are or mega-church they attend.

Matt Hurley said...

What exactly is it about Blackwell that scares you so much? I've never heard an answer to that question that makes sense to me...