Thursday, June 01, 2006

Conservative Rock Tunes?

They exist and National Review gives you their "Top 50" (Hat Tip: Brain Shavings).

Any list like this has songs that one can disagree with its inclusion or absence, but let me comment on a couple from their list first:

"One," by Creed

Anti-racial preferences in the extreme, I love this song immensely (if you haven't heard it before, check it out!)

"Brick," by Ben Folds Five

A song about abortion, I can't listen to this tune without getting a tear or two in my eyes.

"Driving home to her apartment
For the moment we're alone
She's alone
I'm alone
Now I know it."

And with lyrics like these, The Beatles "Taxman" should have been #1 instead of #2:

"If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet."

Sadly, I will never appear on this list as arthritis has forced me to hang the six-string up. I was working on an album based upon Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn -- it would have been my masterpiece!

Anyway...

And now, a couple that I would have included. My tastes are more heavy and eclectic, so check out the stuff you' haven't heard yet -- you just might like it:

Iron Maiden -- The Prisoner (anti-establishment; based on the British sci-fi series)

Run fight to breathe it's tough
Now you see me now you don't
Break the walls I'm coming out
Not a prisoner I'm a free man
And my blood is my own now
Don't care where the past was
I know where I'm going ... out

Damn Yankees -- (Ted Nugent) Damn Yankees (Pro-American & very topical)

Ain't no strong man
Safe from the hang man
Baby, now, don't ya know
If you need assitance
I'll be on the way
Run into a little resistance
Ya know what they're gonna say
(They say) Hey, hey, Damn Yankee

Ah, winning hearts and minds... :)

Iced Earth -- Ghost Of Freedom (It'd be easy to recommend the entire Glorious Burden album -- and I now officially do, but I also like this tune)

Here we stand on the firing line
Here I'll walk in the field where I fight
I will fight of die for liberty
With the ghost standing next to me

Don't tread on me...live free or die!!!
To our fallen brothers
You died to keep us free
To our fallen brothers
Who gave us liberty!!!

Heavy, man ... heavy.

1040 Blues -- The Robert Cray Band (Yes, blues, but the rocky side.)

I work hard for my money
Every April you take it all away
Don't you know I work hard for my money every day, people
You take it all away from me
Ow!
Owwww!

I hate taxes

Taxes gonna break my back I swear
Don't you know I pay a lot more than my share?

I hate taxes

Society Of Mind -- Shadow Gallery (A great band -- check it out!)

A global village awakes and starts to crack the open airway's
Cause the tiger's escaped
He tore right out of his cage
It's like a spark to a flame
Assimilating it's collective on the way
Like turning on a light the brain's online tonight
All around the world
That freedom in the air big brother is aware
Or within my dreams?

And last but not least, Ted Nugent has a bootleg running around.
WARNING: THE LYRICS BELOW ARE BLUNT AND EXPLICIT; PLEASE SKIP TO THE NEXT POST IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED.










STAND

I don't need John Kerry to wipe my ass, don't need Ted Kennedy to spill my glass, Al Not So Sharpton is a horses ass, redistribution is a fkn laugh.

Ch-I don't need nobody to hold my hand, don't need nobody, I can stand. Make it on my own in a Rock-n-Roll band, kiss my American ass I'm a Republican.

V2-ya say you're friends with Michael Moore. Then you are friends with pimps & whores, The 2nd Amendment aint about no sport, no right to self defense in a Kerry court.

Ch-I don't need nobody to hold my hand, don't need nobody, I can stand. Make it on my own in a Rock-n-Roll band, kiss my American ass I'm a Republican.

Brdg-You don't think I'm taxed enuf, well I'm ready to call your bluff. Pimps & whores & welfare brats, too much gvt way too fat.

Please Ted, tell us how you really feel?

HELL YES!

1 comment:

Phil Prenger said...

The one I would quibble with is "Janie's Got a Gun" by Aerosmith. NR's explanation for it reads "How the right to bear arms can protect women from sexual predators."

Seems like just a bit of a stretch.