Thursday, June 29, 2006

Intellectual Honesty

Intellectual honesty compels me to agree with commenter save_the_rustbelt from this thread on the latest developments in the Noe scandal. I was furious, and still am, that Bob Taft didn't do the right thing and resign after his debacle. This sort of thing is what is wrong with the ORP and I've had my fill of it. I'm also one of those people who thinks that local government is important and that competence matters at all levels of government. A competent official would have known that Noe's scheme was illegal, or at least unethical, and wouldn't have participated in it. Sometimes good people do bad things; when they do, I think they should be held accountable. Some might say that the fine is enough...I'm not so sure. I expect more from our leaders.

Was Maggie given bad information? Was she led astray? I don't know, and I suspect we won't know until she can talk about it. But I do think she should step down from her position as soon as possible.

5 comments:

Steven J. Kelso Sr. said...

From The Blade:

The women pleaded no contest in Toledo Municipal Court yesterday to the misdemeanor charge they faced of failing to disclose a meal...

A meal? One single meal?

I also called for Bob Taft to resign, but let us have a little perspective here.

This "crime" speaks more to the tyrannical campaign-finance laws rather than the ethics of these four women (and, of course, Noe's lust for power).

A proven track record of breaking the law like Taft's warrants his resignation, not this incident.

Matt Hurley said...

From the Akron Breacon Journal:

Investigators say the four received money from the donor, rare coin dealer Tom Noe, and then contributed it to Bush's campaign in their own names so Noe could skirt laws limiting individual contributions to $2,000. They were charged with failing to report the money on their financial disclosure statements.

This is what I'm outraged about...

Matt Hurley said...

ABJ link here: http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/state/14918603.htm

save_the_rustbelt said...

The single meal was a $2000 meal paid for with illegal funds. The $2000 meal included a $1980 illegal campaign contribution.

And apparently Sally Perz, who knew better, was also a conduit from Noe to the Taft campaign (see today's Blade).

Time to resign. All of them.

(On another note, this wouldn't be so aggravating if Ohio's economy wasn't falling apart while Taft and company feathered their own nests.)

Matt Hurley said...

That's some meal...