Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Should Blackwell Step Down?

I got an email from the Ken Blackwell campaign that really sparked my interest. Apparently, Democrats are throwing the temper tantrum from Hades that an elected official-the secretary of state, nonetheless-is running for the office of governor.

Sen. Hillary Clinton gave it fuel when she was in Ohio the other day.


"I find it amazing that one of the people running for high office is actually running
the elections," she said. "That should not be permitted."



First off, why does a senator from Arkansas who claims to be from New York have any business commenting on Ohio politics at all? Is she so sure of her Senatorial victory that she has time to jetset across the continental 48 to keep Repubs on the run?
I think not.

However, the Hildebeast isn't the target of this post. The stupidity of some Democrats is. For example:

U.S. Rep. Ted Strickland, Democratic candidate for governor, says his opponent
should give up his role, having demonstrated that he can't be trusted.


Mr. Strickland, I've been in Ohio for less than six months and I already know that Secretary Blackwell is much more trustworthy than you.

The email, and the quotes I've used here, are from a Dayton Daily News editorial (surprising considering I find the DDN to be a veeeeeeeery liberal newspaper) explaining the stupidity of the Dems' position. More from the editorial:


For one thing, secretary of state is an elective office. If Democrats
didn't want Mr. Blackwell to have it, they needed to beat him. They can't lose
an election and then demand that their vanquisher curtail his own
responsibilities. At least they can't without looking absurd.

I agree wholeheartedly.

If you read my blog (http://stevethepirate.net), you know that I recently relocated to Ohio (as I mentioned above, about five months ago) from Missouri where our governor there, Matt Blunt, served as secretary of state prior to his election. However, since Ohio is considered by many to be the Ultimate Swing State of Doom, I guess I can see why local, state, and national Democrats are raising such a fuss where they did not in Missouri.

Excuse me for being partisan, but I see a standard Democratic tactic at work here. Ignore the issues, focus on the candidate. It's the same game they played in 2004 with John Kerry; the only problem here is they actually have a chance of pulling it off this time.

1 comment:

Phil Prenger said...

And yet somehow that don't complain about the Democratic candidate for governor in Iowa (Illinois? Indiana?) who's in the same position.