Monday, August 07, 2006

You Used to Pay His Salary

From the Dayton Daily News:

Although there were alternatives to attacking Japan, President Harry Truman ignored them on Aug. 6, 1945, when Americans dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, said a former University of Dayton professor during a peace rally held Sunday in observance of the 61st anniversary of the bombing.

"Our society didn't look at alternatives then and we don't look at alternatives today," Joseph C. Kunkel told a small crowd that gathered at Wright-Dunbar Park, Third Street and Edwin C. Moses Boulevard, in the sweltering heat. "President Truman's fear of communism -- the real reason why he attacked Japan -- is now the fear of terrorism. In (our) militaristic society, we don't know how to start talking, but we know how to use weapons."

I am sure that talks with Osama would work out the same way that talks with Adolph Hitler did.

2 comments:

Phil Prenger said...

Nonsense. I tried to lay out why I think Truman did the right thing in this post.

UD is a private school though, so hopefully this guy wasn't getting too much of the taxpayers' largesse.

Steve the Pirate said...

I wish I would've known about this, because I definitely would've paid a call to my Protest Warrior buddies.